Clearly few things are worse than finding out that your Palisade rental house has a gnat problem. While they don’t bite or carry diseases, gnats can be a big annoyance in an otherwise neat and clean home. Ripe fruit, trash bags, and even potting soil can attract these unwelcome pests. They seem to appear out of nowhere and can be toilsome to really get rid of. That is unless you know some of the best tricks to keep gnats out of your house for good.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: One excellent means to eliminate gnats without harsh chemicals is to use a mixture of apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, and dish soap. The gnats will be strongly attracted to the sugar and then trapped by the soap. Bring a small bowl of the mixture near areas you’ve seen gnats buzzing around, and they will rapidly be gone.
- Fly Paper: One uncomplicated, cost-effective manner to get rid of gnats is to use flypaper. Though obviously not the most attractive option, those sticky flypaper ribbons are excellent at trapping buzzing insects around your home.
- Bleach the Drains: If you’ve seen a convergence of gnats around your sink drains, you may have drain flies. To free your drains and house of these pests, pour a solution of bleach and water down the affected drains. Your sinks will in no time be gnat-free once more.
- Rotten Fruit: You may be aware that gnats like ripe fruit – it’s one of the main reasons why gnats come about in your house. So one practice to ward off gnats is to use it against them. Get a piece of ripe or rotten fruit in a bowl and cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap. Taking a toothpick, poke a few small holes in the plastic. By doing this, the flies can get in but then become trapped in the bowl, which you can then clear away from the house.
- Wine Trap: If you have some expired wine handy, you can use it to trap pesky gnats the same way. Pour some of the wine into a small bowl, add a few drops of dish soap, and then set it around where the gnats seem to be. They will be trapped in the wine solution, making gnat removal uncomplicated as can be.
- Bug Zapper: If you’re seeking a more aggressive technique to eliminate gnats from your house, how about trying a bug zapper device? Several different forms of bug zappers are available for purchase, most of which use electricity to zap flies, mosquitoes, and other flying insects. You can just set up the zapper a bit of distance away and plug it in.
- Chemical Spray: For gnat troubles that have gotten extremely out of control, you may like to resort to an insecticide. Both foggers and sprays can effectively remove gnats but should be used with caution. Always stick to the manufacturer’s directions when employing chemical insecticides.
With several methods available to keep away gnats, you are definitely sure to find one that works for your particular pest problem. Are you interested in learning more about how to keep your rental house pest-free? Visit Real Property Management Now’s website for more valuable information and contact us online to speak with one of our property managers!
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the Nation. See Equal Housing Opportunity Statement for more information.